First off, in my mad attempt to Inform As Many People As Possible, And Save Them Years of Searching For Information Like I Have, I’ll be contributing over at Mormon Mommy Blogs occasionally. As often as I manage to write a coherent post, and find a relevant, creative-commons, picture. It’s turning out to be a lot harder than I thought when I answered their query for new contributors on a whim. (Boy was I surprised to get their invitation!!) Funny thing, I haven’t even been reading that blog, but I figure I have a pretty good chance of at least finding SOME like-minded mommies, right? I hope? (They’re few and far between on the ground around here, I love each and every crunchy one of you!!!)
Second, I’m itching for a new project. Nevermind that I have a million in process here (OK, not a million, but the every other day diaper loads, the twice a week bread, the Garden In Process, the pile of to-be-rescued clothing…I have stuff to do, never fear.)
Nevertheless, I want to learn something new. Never give in to apathy! That’s my motto 🙂
So, my current skill set:
- bread making, and all other cooking
- natural cleaning. Cleaning day smells of vinegar.
- cloth diapering
- regular composting
- sewing (clothes, dolls)
- jewelry making
- piano, organ, singing
- running a (very small) home business
- proper exercise and nutrition for various family members
- chickens (No, I don’t have any but I’ve sure read a LOT!)
- Teaching- piano, homeschooling, etc.
- accounting and Spreadsheet Skillz. I love Excel. The end.
- Photography (it’s a work in process, but I AM getting better!)
- Food storage, and pantry cooking (YES, I have a year’s supply of rice, beans, wheat, and sugar in my basement. YES, that’s a whole lotta #10 cans.)
What’s my next project? What should I be researching? My goal is to be self-sufficient. Not really in a hide-in-the-woods, THE-MAN-will-never-catch-me type of way, but I want to say “I can do that” as often as possible. My kids need to learn? I can do that. My family needs to eat? I can do that. I need to support my family financially, I CAN DO THAT, or at least I would be able to if called on. (Oh, and cloth diapers…come on, NOBODY has a year’s supply of disposable diapers on hand in their “year supply.” Cloth diapers are the ONLY WAY! At least purchase a dozen prefolds and a plastic cover or two, and throw them in the closet for “just in case” *grin*)
I can do it, I can do it. With the Lord’s help I can do anything, but the more I learn and do BEFORE I’m asked to do something, the better off I’ll be, eh?
Filed under: Homemaking |